Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Mr. Jingaling

Because of the Christmas season, I've been receiving many hits on my blog from search engine quests for information on Mr. Jingaling. If you've hit my site looking this Cleveland icon, scroll down to the entry A Christmas Classic, where I pay homage to him and my memories of Christmases past. I hope you enjoy the stroll down memory lane. And if you have your own reminiscences of Mr. Jingaling (the Keeper of the Keys), of Higbee's, or other downtown Christmas traditions, feel free to share them in the comments section on that post.

Thanks for visiting 2 Baci in a Pinon Tree. I wish you a very happy New Year!

2005 Valerie Schneider

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELLO, MY NAME IS DEBBY, I AM A 45 YEAR OLD WOMAN, THAT WAS BORN AND RAISED IN CLEVELAND OH UNTIL I WAS 10 YEARS OLD. MY HUSBAND AND I WERE JUST SITTING HERE TALKING ABOUT MR JINGALING, SO I DECIDED TO LOOK HIM UP ON THE WEB AND I GOT YOUR WEB SITE TO LEAVE COMMENTS OR EXPERIENCES WITH HIM. WE LIVED BY EDGEWATER PARK, AND IT WAS ONLY ABOUT A 10-15 MINUTE WALK TO DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND. MY GRANDMOTHER AND I WOULD WALK THERE OFTEN, WE WOULD GO UP IN THE TERMINAL TOWER AND LOOK IN THOSE BIG SCOPES, AND LOOK DOWN AT THE PEOPLE, AND WE WOULD GO TO ALL THE SHOPS, IT WAS AMAZING TO ME, ESPECIALLY AT CHRISTMAS TIME. THE LIGHTS WERE SO BEAUTIFUL, THE GIANT TREE IN THE CENTER OF THE SQUARE, SITTING ON SANTAS LAP AT THE MAY CO. BUT THE THING I REMEMBER THE MOST IS SEEING MR JINGALING EVERY YEAR. I COULDN'T WAIT UNTIL CHRISTMAS, TO GO TO HALLIES (LATER HIGBEES), AND SEE HIS SHOW, AND SIT ON HIS LAP. I SAW HIM EVERY YEAR FOR 10 YEARS. I SHOULD ASK MY GRANDMOTHER OR MY MOTHER, THEY MIGHT EVEN HAVE PICTURES OF HIM AND I. IT WAS REALLY GOOD TO SIT HERE AND REMINISCE ABOUT MY CHILDHOOD, AND THE GOOD TIMES I HAD AT CHRISTMAS TIME IN DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND OHIO. TO THIS DAY CLEVELAND ROCKS. THANKYOU FOR LETTING ME SHARE MY EXPERIENCE WITH YOU, HOPE YOUR READERS ENJOY........DEBBY

Valerie said...

Hey Debby, Thanks for stopping by! Thanks, too, for sharing your memories of our old friend, Mr. Jingaling. Wasn't he just wonderful? Those were wonderful times, when downtown had department stores and a glitzy Christmas parade. The sad part is, kids after our generation have no idea what they are missing. Merry Christmas to you!