Friday, January 11, 2008

GUEST BLOGGER: Giorgio Tomassetti

I first met Giorgio on his blog, Un Anno a Stelle e Strisce (a year of stars and stripes) when he was an exchange student in West Virginia. I enjoyed his reactions to American culture and his views as an Italian teen on adapting to life there. At the same time he was reading our blogs about foreigners living in his hometown of Ascoli Piceno. Upon his return we became friends with him and his family; in fact it was his parents who recently invited us to the fun snow outing in Vena Piccola.
Giorgio is a bright, fun, talented, good kid. I know you'll enjoy his views.
Valerie


Hi everybody!



My name is Giorgio and today I'll be writing an article on this blog.



First of all I would like to thank Valerie for giving me the opportunity to write on her blog.



As you can read in the introduction, I first met Valerie and Brian on the internet while I was spending an year in the United States of America. Their blogs were very interestesting to me because they talked about my country and, in particular, about my hometown of Ascoli Piceno, where they now live. It may sound weird to say but, every time I read an article on their blogs, I understand more about the American culture, even know they talk about Italians and Italy.



The year that I spent in the United States was great for me, not only because I learned English, but because it was a very good life experience. I can't list how many things I understood about people, life, cultures, and so on while I was there. Here in Italy you hear a lot about America, especially on TV, and everybody knows what the so called American dream is! Many movies and songs are from America and that's how many people learn about this country. But here in Italy things don't usually work in the same way; people think differently, act differently and have different priorities in life. If you are a reader of this blog you probably already know that. But I'm also pretty sure that Valerie and Brian's articles made you want to come here the same.



I have to say that travel is great but living in a foreign country for awhile is even better because you can learn so much and have opportunities that can change your life. Going outside my country for an year changed my life and I can't wait to have a similar experience again.



Now I want to show you a video that explains how Italians are different from Europeans in general so that you can have a better understanding of my country. This is a funny video and I hope you will enjoy it. But remeber, we're not always like this... Italy is a beautiful country and you should come here to visit.




Giorgio Tomassetti

12 comments:

Violeta said...

and what is the url of giorgio's blog? :)

Anonymous said...

We watched this great video in our Italian class!

Anonymous said...

vipmnox

I KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO LIVE AND LEARN IN DIFERENT COUNTRIES. I WISH EVERYONE COULD JUST SO THAT WE COULD UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER BETTER. I LIVED IN SWITZERLAND AND USA ALSO I WAS BORN IN GERMANY. I AM NEVER SORRY FOR ALL THE EXPERIENCE, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY! BECAUSE I LEARNED THROUGH EACH ONE OF THEM AND NOW CAN LOOK BACK AND SAY I HAVE BEEN THERE I TRIED AND I HAVE SURVIVED, SO FAR :) BY THE GRACE OF GOD.

BLUEBERRY GROWERS WIFE

Anonymous said...

Bravo Giorgio. Bentornato a casa.

Anonymous said...

Hi Giorgio!

Valerie said...

Violeta, the link is posted on the right under Click Worthy.

Bravo, Giorgio! Grazie mille!

Texas Espresso said...

Hi Giorgio - the video is funny and I always laugh when I see it. I would be interested in hearing some of your experiences in the US and if you visited any other states? Places within a country can be so different! looking forward to hearing more..

stacy

erin said...

LOVE THE VIDEO! So hilarious!

Giorgio said...

Hi everybody! Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I visited other US states like California, Maryland, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, Arizona, etc... It's true that they are different from each other but, believe me, you can always tell that you're in America.

Anonymous said...

Great video, though I think the Ue has learned to operate bureaucracy from the Italians. The best thing is that, usually, Italians keep a sense of humor about all this.

Anonymous said...

Your English is very good, Giorgio. Do you continue to study and practice now that you're back home?

Giorgio said...

Yes, now that I'm back home I try to don't forget how to speak English. I have English class at school and whenever I can, I watch movies, read magazines and talk to people online in English. That's all I can do right now!