Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Friends and Famiglia

While looking through some photos recently -old family treasures as well as newer shots- I realized just how many pictures I have (and how many I still need to label, categorize, and edit, but that's another story!)  Both sides of my family have boxloads and hard drives full of photos, so I think it must be a genetic trait to hold on to them instead of weeding them out.  While I really not a pack-rat, photos rarely get pitched. 

My grandmother was notorious for sneaking snapshots when you least expected it, although to her dismay a high proportion of her pictures decapitated someone or caught a corner of her thumb in the process.  It didn't matter, she kept them all and rolled them out at every family gathering.  I admit I always loved looking at them, laughing at the clothes and hairstyles, and reliving funny family moments.

While looking through and labeling some of my more recent shots, I realized that not only do we have wonderful familial ties with family members who are also friends, but I have treasured friends who have become a part of my family, too.  Glancing at the photos, it also struck me that some of these friends even look like family!

Can you tell which ones are related and which ones aren't?


7 comments:

Bryan said...

I know...

J.Doe said...

It's always a pleasure to look at old photos to see how styles changed, people changed...especially children.
I was recently looking at some pictures of my daughter after she was born. She looks So different now!

LindyLouMac said...

No idea! I love photographs of people and places and since the advent of digital photography take more than ever. One day we will get them all sorted out won't we?

Valerie said...

Bryan - Are you sure? ;)

J. - It's especially fun to see how the children change so quickly! We look at photos of our nephews and nieces that we took when they were tiny and think, "how can they be graduating, marrying and buying houses already?" We recently discovered the sole photo taken of my great-grandfather, who died very young. The resemblance to my cousin in Italy is astounding.

Valerie said...

LindyLou - I have a couple more photos with friends who could be related that I should have included but didn't want to confuse you all *too* much. As for me, I doubt my photos will ever be sorted out. I am notorious for not labeling and organizing my digital photos. It is so very time consuming!

Valerie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valerie said...

The group shot was meant to be a "gimme" - definitely famiglia: my grandfather, two aunts, and three first cousins. The one of Bryan with cugino Alfonso...well, he says I look just like his cousin so we claim familial ties (but there are none). I think he looks like he could be Bryan's uncle. Lower left is a picture of me with my brother, Valerio. Who isn't actually my brother, but his parents "adopted" us into their clan so we've developed a fraternal bond. Which leaves the final family photo of my cousin Michele, who really is a cousin, albeit distant.